3 More Sources
I have been looking for more sources for my paper on Same sex marriage this week. I think every time I told myself I needed to get on the computer to do so I got a headache. So I wanted to make sure I got the results I need. I decided to look everywhere I could so I could try to find more to choose from. I did start with the database's that Heather put in our assignment sheet for this week. I didn't have any l luck them. I think I should change that I found articles that I would have liked to read, but I would have paid to read them. I felt like that was unfair. Do I go back to the database's that are located on the Front Range Ewolf page. I played with the wording in my searches. I then also to broaden my horizon to more options. I have found if this do I can find the items I need on Academic Search Premier.
I found an article titled "Marriage and Politics".
This article was really interesting as compared the two. It talks about how marriage is a legal contract, between two parties and the state they live in. They say it shouldn't matter the sex of each person in the contract. It also responds to the argument that if same-sex marriage be legal then it damage the heterosexual marriages. Why would it matter what your neighbor is doing, and how would that hurt your marriage? This article also talks about the fact that the young adults today waiting longer to get married. They have seen what divorce can do and they are living with a partner before they take the big step of marriage. May be if we can come together as a nation and allow same-sex marriages it will help those that are not "out of the closet" be free from living a life they don't want to. Then maybe our divorce rate will be lowered.
I was determined to find some something else that would help make my paper POP. So I went to just "Google" find something I could use. I found a great website called "ProCon.org" I found just what I was looking for. I found a list of of pro and con quotes. It was exactly what I was looking for. I don't know how I could make a summary of them. I have about 40 for each side. I only plan to use one or two of them. I am glad I found them, and that I didn't just continue to look for the database's. I wanted something different to use.
I found an article by Heather Macintosh, title "Same-Sex marriage in Canada: The Impact of Legal Marriage On The First Cohort of Gay and Lesbian Canadians To Wed." This article talks about why gay couples want to be able to get married. They want to be able to celebrate their commitment to each other, and gain the same benefits of heterosexual couples. Is that too much to ask? ( I think not). In the world today marriage is a most significant communal ceremony of belonging. She states that most skeptics about same-sex marriage look at the negative meanings they attach to the institution itself. She then takes many points like Taxes, adoption of a child, and regulations of becoming a couple. She goes into detail into those topics and helps make her point to show that gay marriage would not be bad for the United States to change.
It sounds like you have some great “pro” articles. Have you been able to find any sound “con” articles? The quotes you mentioned sounded interesting, I’m curious to hear/read what the “con” quotes say. I have very strong beliefs when it comes to this subject, so it’s very hard for me to listen to this debate without trying to put my two cents in. I absolutely agree that marriage is a legal contract between two willing adults, and by that definition alone it should accessible to all. I also believe marriage has a greater spiritual meaning, its God uniting two souls I imagine that God isn’t looking at gender when he unites those souls but instead he is looking at their hearts. For a country who claims to separate Church and State, this issue begs to differ. I wonder if the people who are against gay marriage have any other reasons other than the biblical ones to vote against gay marriage. I wonder if those against gay marriage realize the seeds of hatred and intolerance they are sowing. Our children our listening, they are watching and they are reacting. How many gay children commit suicide because of being bullied, not feeling accepted by their family or peers?? As a country we need to stand up and say “WE DO ACCEPT YOU!” We will stand up for you and your rights regardless of gender, color of skin, sexual orientation…we ARE equal! One step towards equality is allowing gay marriage.
ReplyDeleteI think that what you have here is great! Just as Paul said, were you able to find any "con" articles? In my blog, I found sources that are for and against. I know how hard it is to try to see the opposing view, but for the sake of our argument essays, I believe that we should all take a large look at the whole picture and not just one side.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing a great job with your sources and I believe that you will do great with writing your paper. Good luck.